John Surico is a freelance journalist, based in Queens, New York. He is a trusted voice on issues such as criminal justice, urban affairs, and national politics, having written nearly 500 articles on these topics. He has extensive experience in research, journalism, and reporting abroad.
Visiting Research Fellow, Center for an Urban Future; 2017-Present
- Authoring an in-depth report that will inform policymakers on the state of parks infrastructure in New York City, and how to best address its vulnerabilities. Publication expected in Spring 2018.
- Conducting over 80 interviews with experts in respective fields, and 30 hours of site visits citywide. Convened an advisory board, performed extensive data analysis, and delegated tasks to a number of research assistants.
Reporter, VICE; 2014-Present
- Written over 150 stories and features for VICE.com, extensively covering the issues of criminal justice, poverty, and national politics.
- Spearheaded VICE.com's coverage of the New Hampshire presidential primaries, 2017 presidential inauguration, and 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Created “Future of Incarceration in America,” a five- part series on overhauling our criminal justice system, and consulted on VICE’s HBO criminal justice special.
- Now lead the site’s coverage of New York’s transit crisis, with a story pitched and written per week.
Contributor, The New York Times; 2013-Present
- Reported on over 200 stories for the Times’ Metro Desk, involving breaking news, long-term projects, and feature stories.
- Regularly provide assistance to staff on the National, Politics, and International Desks, having helped on stories nationwide, and in Rio de Janeiro.
- Frequently pitch features and columns that have appeared in the Sunday Metropolitan section.
Freelance Writer/Journalist 2012-Present
- Pitched, assigned and written over 100 stories— magazine features, blogs, op-eds, e.g.—in both local and national outlets.
- Contributed on-the-ground reporting from both nationwide, and abroad, from Brazil, Sweden, Mexico, and Cuba.
- Frequently commandeer sponsored content and copywriting campaigns for a list of clients, representing small- and large-sized companies.
- Provided research assistance to Michael Shnayerson’s The Contender, Matt Taibbi’s I Can’t Breathe, and Wayne Barrett’s stories in a wide range of publications.
- Co-founded and actively edit Potluck, a literary journal for up-and-coming writers and artists.
- Conversational: Italian, Portuguese.
- Camera: Nikon D3100 DSLR.
- Proficiency: Social media management, CMS.
- New York University
- BA (Journalism/Politics), ’13
- NYU Editor & Publisher Award (GPA, 3.7)